Boards & Committees

Zoning Board of Appeals

In the Town of Hurley it is the responsibility of the Code Enforcement Officer in the Building Department to ensure all residents adhere to our local zoning regulations. If there is a special situation for which a resident feels they require a variance from these regulations, they may petition the Zoning Board of Appeals. The Zoning Board reviews each case presented to them and decides if a variance is appropriate. They are not an enforcement agency, nor do they proactively look for violations. They will consider a case only after it has been reviewed by the Code Enforcement Officer, and a petition has been filed. Even issues referred by the Planning Department will first go to the Code Enforcement Officer. It is important that residents understand local zoning regulations by speaking with the Building Department, and apply for any necessary variances prior to beginning a project.


Appeal Process

Please bear in mind that decisions from the Building Department are based strictly on Town Zoning Regulations, and are most often not the result of a complaint. After the Code Enforcement Officer has denied your request to alter your property, you may file an appeal to attempt to obtain the necessary variance. Petitions for Zoning Variance forms can be obtained from the Town Clerk at Town Hall during normal business hours. There is no filing fee, but there will be a $25 charge in the likely event that a public hearing on the matter becomes necessary. Once the form is completed you must contact the secretary to get on the Zoning Board's agenda. If a public hearing is required, it is usually scheduled for the following month. Every attempt is made to resolve the appeal quickly, on the evening of the hearing if possible. Applicants should be aware, however, that the Zoning Board has up to 60 days to render a decision if need be.


Please keep in mind that zoning variances are not given purely for cosmetic or asthetic reasons. Wishing to situate a shed too close to your property line simply to provide more room or a better view, for example, is not typically sufficient justification for a zoning variance. They are most normally granted in cases of hardship or due to physical restrictions such as existing structures or trees, septic systems, and so forth. Should you need to present your case at a public hearing before the Zoning Board, here are just a few resources that may help in presenting your case.


1. A clear definition of your restriction
2. A clear description of your petition
3. A detailed site plan
4. Photographs
5. Letters from adjoining neighbors

The most important factors to bear in mind are speaking with the Code Enforcement Officer in the Building Department prior to filing a petition, thoroughly understanding your request, and properly scheduling your case on the Zoning Board agenda.


Meeting Schedule 

The Zoning Board meets monthly to hear petitions for zoning variances. The meetings are held at the Town Hall on Wamsley Place at 7:00 PM on the second Thursday of each month.



Joshua Vogt- Chairman
Term: 12/31/2019
Art Bowen
Term: 12/31/2020
Abby Gross
Term: 12/31/2021
Len Waters
Term: 12/31/2022
Orin Shands
Term: 12/31/2023
Gerard Greaves
Term: 12/31/2023
Jana Martin
Term: 12/31/2024
Zoning Board of Appeals
Doris Alden
Phone: (845) 331-7474 ext 337
ZBA Fee Schedule (DOC - 23.5 KB)


© 2020 Town Of Hurley, Ulster County